The word is out! Here's my letter to the community as I prepare to leave my beloved Palante Technology Cooperative:
After twelve amazing years at Palante, fourteen years working under the Palante name, and many months of preparation for my departure, I'll be leaving the cooperative at the end of 2022! I'm happy and proud that as I leave, the coop will live on as a strong, dedicated team that will continue to provide the highest quality services to organizations across the country. And I thank so many of you for your support, both in my time at the cooperative and in the earlier years of my nonprofit tech career.
After a break in January I'll be returning to independent consulting. I will offer a variety of services in both organizational digital security and the broader realm of nonprofit technology:
- Organizational assessment, analysis and recommendations;
- Strategic planning for both specific projects and overall technology needs;
- Change management and project management for successful implementations of new solutions;
- Policy and process development to ensure long-term success;
- Coaching to support people responsible for technology in their organizations;
- Curriculum development, training and documentation to provide accessible knowledge and skills to our communities;
- Meeting and workshop facilitation to guide discussions towards productivity while promoting full engagement and without perpetuating systemic oppression; and
- Public speaking and political education to help bridge the gaps between technology and social justice.
Specifically, my approach to organizational digital security is unique and well-developed over the past many years, and includes:
- Helping organizations understand how digisec fits into a larger, holistic and abolitionist understanding of community safety and security;
- Breaking down intimidating and inaccessible tech terms and concepts so that people feel empowered to work towards their own digital security;
- Assessing the position from which organizations are starting, the threats that they face and the resources they have to work against those threats; and
- Making recommendations and implementing solutions in a harm-reduction-informed approach.
My work has always been grounded in my values, politics and activism, which includes extensive work in non-digital forms of community safety and security.
I am available for both one-off projects and ongoing organizational support beginning in February 2023. Please feel free to get in touch before then about possible projects or questions about my services; I'd love to hear from you!